Sunday, November 25, 2012

Close Reading


When my district first started talking about "Close Reading" I thought they meant "Cloze Reading". I quickly noticed the difference but always and still remember my mistake. The differentiation between the two are exponential. Take a look at what Doug Fisher has to say about Part One and Part Two.

Common Core State Standards drive the creation of Close Reading. My interpretation of Close Reading is when a teacher takes their students through a text multiple times. Teachers generate a variety of questions or focus strategies for each reading. For example, for the first reading you may want to focus on the main idea and read straight through. The second reading may require more in depth focus such as focusing on the author's voice and purpose as well as character analysis. For the third reading teachers may want their students to form connections.



 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment.